Alarm systems can do amazing things these days. The technology leaders (including FrontPoint) have added remote arm/disarm, event notifications by text or email, on-line history, mobile apps, video services, and now home automation (think lights, locks, and even thermostats). We’ve entered a new era of expanded home security, where more people than ever appreciate the convergence of protection, convenience, and control. But with all the new and advanced features and functions, there are still some basic aspects of how alarm systems work that people ask about on a regular basis. One of these functions is arming your system with one of the sensors “bypassed,” usually a door/window sensor, or a motion sensor.
Bypassing a Sensor – What It Means
Let’s say you want to use your alarm system, but you have a door or window, or general area that you want to treat differently, and still arm the rest of the system. There are numerous reasons why you might want to do this, such as the following:
- You want to be able to open and close a specific window during the night, while your system is armed.
- You want to bypass a certain motion sensor so that a person or pet can move through an area without creating an alarm event.
- While you are making repairs or renovations to your home, a sensor may be temporarily displaced – and you still want to use your system to protect the rest of the house.
How to Bypass a Sensor with a FrontPoint System
Bypassing a sensor on a FrontPoint system is remarkably easy – thanks to the fact that we use GE Security components, the best wireless alarm equipment in the industry. They also have the easiest “user interface,” which results in fewer false alarms.
Other Helpful Information from FrontPoint
I’ve written often on the best ways to get the most out of your home security, and here are links to several of those posts:
- How to Arm and Disarm Your Alarm System
- How to Design Your Alarm System
- Understanding Door & Window Sensors
- Understanding Motion Sensors
FrontPoint is your best resource for the latest in security news, technology and the peace of mind that comes from protecting your home and family. With alarm systems that are safer, smarter, simpler, more affordable, and virtually impossible to defeat, FrontPoint is more than just another alarm company – we’re the recognized leader in wireless home security all across the US. You can always depend on us to give you the straight scoop, along with world-class service, whether you’re bypassing a sensor or setting up your FrontPoint system to send you texts or emails, or motion activated video clips from your wireless cameras. Have a question about home security? Ask FrontPoint!