Even though millions of US homeowners already experience the peace of mind that comes from monitored home security, the surprising fact is that only about one in five US homes has a working alarm system in place. But with residential crime stats remaining stubbornly high, the trend toward more home alarms is upward: more consumers are concerned about protecting their homes and families, and are making the modest investment in electronic security.
I recently posted on the top 5 reasons to buy home security: if you don’t already have a system, you may want to check it out. But it also occurred to us here at FrontPoint that plenty of homeowners have already made that decision, and you are trying to educate yourselves on home security. We know how hard it can be to find the honest and objective information you want, across a broad range of alarm system topics: in fact, FrontPoint has worked very hard to be that source since 2007. But now we are formalizing this education process into a blog series, to make it easier for you – the home security shopper.
What’s in This Blog Series?
So what are what we going to talk about? Well, the whole home security enchilada, from scratch. That means alarm technology, equipment vs. monitoring, how to pick the best company, how to negotiate the best deal for yourself – we’ll cover it all.
For instance, in the area of home alarm technology, here’s a sample of the topics to be covered.
- Monitoring Technology: cellular vs. the rest of the pack, how to pick the right one.
- Alarm Equipment: wireless vs. hard wired, and all the various sensors. We’ll even get into system design.
- DIY vs. Installers in Your Home: the pros and cons of both approaches.
- Professional Monitoring vs. Self-Monitoring: why it really matters to your peace of mind.
- Interactive Features: learn about remote arm/disarm with mobile apps, text or email alerts and notifications, geo-services, and more.
- Video: high resolution smart cams connect you to your home on demand – and can even send you motion-activated video clips.
- Home Automation: ready to control lights, locks and thermostats remotely? And wouldn’t it be cool to link your alarm system to these features, and your cameras? It’s all possible today.
How You’ll Benefit
The goal of this series to give you – the alarm shopper – all the information you need to make an educated and cost-effective decision. And technology is just the beginning. As you might suspect, all alarm companies are not equal. There are plenty of different business models, product and service and offerings, and even ways to handle the consumer. And don’t forget price! The more you know, the more comfortable you’ll be when it’s time to pick your alarm company and start designing your system.
And once you understand how the systems work, you’ll want to know how to compare one alarm company to another when you are shopping. The good news is that there is a lot of information available online that can steer you to the right company. We’ll explain how the review process works, and where to look. You’ll come out knowing who’s who in this industry, who provides the best service, and what’s best for you – the consumer.
Stay Tuned – Every Monday
So make sure to check out the FrontPoint blog every Monday, starting next Monday, January 27, for all the info you need to protect your home and family. And if we don’t cover a topic that interests you, just let us know. We have the expertise, the experience, and the desire to help you get smart in this important area. And when you are done, you should feel protected and connected.
See you on Mondays!