Geo-Services is an incredibly useful feature of the Frontpoint alarm system that’s all about making your life a little bit easier – like automatically turning the lights off for you when you forget to. It does more than that. It can also remind you to arm your system, adjust your thermostat, and control your lights and cameras.
Sounds pretty neat, right? How does it all work?
Geo-Services in a Nutshell
It starts with the “geo-fence,” an invisible ring around a location that you designate. And anytime you (and your smartphone) enter or exit the geo-fence, any Geo-Service rules and settings you have applied will automatically go into effect.
You can have multiple geo-fences, each with their own set of rules. You could leave your home’s geo-fence and receive an arming reminder, then enter the geo-fence surrounding your workplace and have your home’s automated thermostat adjust its temperature.
Geo-Services also supports multiple users and each individual can have their own rules and settings.
How to Enable and Configure Geo-Services
Enabling Geo-Services is super easy and can be done in three steps!
- Download the Alarm.com/Frontpoint app onto your smartphone (if you haven’t already done so).
- Log into the app and open the options menu, and then select Geo-Services.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn Geo-Services on, then confirm by selecting Turn On.
*The GPS on your phone must be enabled in order to use Geo-Services.
Now that your smartphone is ready for Geo-Services, it’s time to configure your own set of rules! There’s a lot you can tinker around with, so we suggest playing with it until you find what works for you.
To get you started, we’ll show you how to create a geo-fence and an event-triggered rule so your lights turn off when you leave the geo-fence (a Frontpoint favorite).
- Log into your account on MyFrontpoint.com.
- Click on the Mobile tab, and then the Geo-Services link that’s below it.
- Create a geo-fence by clicking on the Add a Fence link. Here you can specify the location of your geo-fence, change its name and radius (between 1-100 miles). Click Save when you’re finished.
- Click on the Light Automation Rule link. Here you can create a variety of rules for your Wireless Light Controls. To create a rule that automatically turns your lights off when exiting your geo-fence, it should look like the following:
- Click Save.
And you’re done!
Rules and Settings You Can Apply
Now that you’ve set up your Geo-Fence, there are plenty of rules and settings that you can apply to your system. Here are a few of my favorites:
Arming Reminders – As mentioned before, notifications can be sent to your smartphone if you forget to arm your alarm. But you can also receive notifications for when specific system events take place, specific sensors are triggered and when a sensor remains open for too long.
Thermostat Control – You can set your thermostat to automatically adjust to an energy-saving mode when leaving home, and to a more comfortable setting when you’re on your way back. This is a great way to save energy (and the dent in your wallet).
Pause Video Recording – Rules can be placed so that certain video recordings will be paused whenever you’re within the geo-fence, allowing you to prevent unwanted recordings.
Event-triggered Lights – You can set up your Wireless Light Controls to automatically turn on or off when certain events occur – like whenever a user crosses the geo-fence.
If you have any questions about Geo-Services, feel free to leave a comment or call 877-602-5276 and a member of our Customer Support Team will be happy to help.