Traditional alarm systems have plenty of drawbacks, but one of the biggest is that they are extremely limited for frequent travelers who depend on remote services. Happily, all that is changing – today’s range of available home security and management features blows the “old school” systems away. Here are ten next-generation benefits that make it more worthwhile than ever to have the latest technology in your home so you can feel protected – and connected.
- Safer Cellular Monitoring – chances are if you travel frequently, you may not even have a land line at home. The latest technology uses GSM cellular monitoring for the safest and most reliable connection, to you and to the monitoring center. Goodbye, copper!
- Remote Control of your Alarm System – want to arm and disarm your system at the touch of a button? Now you can, from any Internet connection, including your smart phone. Check alarm status, let someone in, then arm the system when they leave: this feature gives convenience and peace of mind.
- Notifications on Every Event – you (and others) can receive text or email notifications on anything happening at home, even when the system is not armed. Door opening? System armed or disarmed (and who was it)? Loss of power? Low temperature or water in the basement? It’s all coming your way.
- Know What Happened, and When – You may want to know just who was coming and going, and your alarm system should place that event history at your fingertips. Did workmen or other service providers show up – and leave – when they were supposed to? Be in the know, and have a record.
- Free Apps Make it Easier – The best systems offer free apps for iPhone, Droid, and BlackBerry devices, for a super-friendly user interface that enhances your connection to the home front. You don’t have to have the apps, but they sure are nice.
- Video Keeps You in the Picture – home video has grown explosively in recent years. Wireless cameras allow live viewing from any web connection (including smart phone), and the best systems can send (and store) motion-activated clips. Imagine getting a real-time clip on your iPhone of your kids arriving home from school every day – that technology is available now.
- Turn on the Lights – one of the best ways to keep intruders out is to convince them that you’re home, and a proven method is with spontaneous lighting control. Today’s advanced alarm systems even allow you to control specific lights, and put them on a variable schedule. No better way to fool the bad guys – and every tactic helps for keeping burglars at bay.
- Warm It Up, or Cool It Down – this same next-generation interface even allows you to control your home thermostat through the same apps on your smart phone, or your computer at work. Heading home (or to the mountains or the shore for the weekend)? Adjust the temperature while you’re on the way, and save money with smarter settings when the house is empty.
- You can Even Control Locks – that’s right, even your door locks can be accessed through your alarm system. Just imagine being able to let someone in, when you want. First you disarm the system remotely, then unlock the door on your schedule. When you’re ready, reset the lock, and rearm the system. It’s a new (and more secure) world!
- Easy Set Up – one of the newest (and best received) trends is for completely wireless systems you can set up yourself. That means your alarm company programs the system and sends it to you for a simple plug-and-play experience. Now you can add any device at any time, on your schedule – and you don’t have to worry about being home to meet some technician’s schedule. That’s convenience!
This is a compelling list of benefits for the frequent traveler, so it’s no surprise that more people on the go are opting for these advanced features – including many homeowners who didn’t see the point in having an alarm system before all these advantages became available. Now the reasons are clear why you should invest in a system that is safer, smarter, simpler and more affordable – and when it comes to these wireless, interactive home security technologies, your first choice is FrontPoint.