Home fires cause fatalities: that’s why every home alarm system should include fire monitoring for smoke and heat – at no additional monthly charge. The best alarm companies recommend this critical life safety service to all their customers. And a recent report released by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) tells us why fire monitoring is so important.
A recent survey conducted by the Society of Fire Protection Engineers found that Americans misjudge fire risks. The survey revealed that “70% of Americans feel safer from fire at home than in a commercial high-rise building.” It is truly ironic that where people feel safest, in their homes, is where the majority of fire deaths occur. Consider this; US fire departments responded to an estimated 362,500 home structure fires in 2009.
These fires referenced above caused:
- 2,565 civilian fire deaths
- 12,600 civilian fire injuries
- $7.6 billion in direct damage
- Roughly 85% of all civilian fire deaths in 2009 resulted from home structure fires.
- Nationwide, once every three hours someone is fatally injured in a home fire.
We Know Fire Monitoring Works
There are plenty of stories that demonstrate how monitored fire alarms save homes – and lives. I haveposted on several of them, and these reports confirm why it makes sense. When you are not home and there is a fire, you want to know the fire department is being dispatched. Or, even more important, if you are home and overcome by smoke, you want the peace of mind from knowing that help would be on the way.
What You Can Do
- For starters, remember that the smoke detectors in your home are most likely NOT monitored: they are essentially “noisemakers” required by code, or put in place because they are better than nothing.
- Read my prior post on the benefits of fire monitoring – and don’t forget the part about the additional homeowner insurance discount.
- Then look into the equipment, like FrontPoint’s wireless smoke and heat sensor. At only $64.99 per sensor, and no additional monthly charge, this is one of the best values you can find in home security.
As the #1 ranked home alarm company in the US, FrontPoint is on the forefront of protecting homes and families with systems that are safer, smarter, simpler, and more affordable. Fire monitoring is just one more way we outpace the competition, and increase your peace of mind. Caught early enough, a home fire is much easier to control and put out – and that same early detection can save your life.