With smartphones giving us constant access to bad news, things might seem pretty dark out there. So let’s take a collective deep breath with some brighter news: we’ve found the US cities you’re least likely to be robbed in.
That’s right—least. The safety experts at Frontpoint analyzed 2017 FBI Uniform Crime Reporting data to bring you this list of each state’s city with the fewest robberies. Whether you’re considering a move or want to find out which city (or two!) made the list in your state, check out our map and report below.
What is Robbery?
The FBI defines robbery for its Uniform Crime Reporting statistics as the “taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.”
Robbery is distinct from burglary in that burglary involves forcible entry—or breaking and entering. The Frontpoint team focused solely on robbery statistics in this report.
Inside the Numbers
- 2017 saw the lowest robbery rate in the past 20 years. For some context, there were 13,441 fewer US robberies in 2017 than in 2016.
- There were 319,356 robberies nationwide in 2017. That’s a rate of 9.8 robberies per 10,000 residents. All but one of the cities on our list fell well below this rate.
- While many small US towns did not have any robberies in 2017, most of them fall under the 30,000 population minimum.
- A move to New England might score you some safety. Only six US cities with a population greater than 30,000 had zero robberies in 2017: Needham, MA; Shrewsbury, MA; Ballwin, MO; Marlboro Township, NJ; Monroe Township, NJ; and Cumberland, RI—five of them in the northeast.
- Only three of our least-robbed cities have populations above 100,000 people: Honolulu, HI at 990,384; Henderson, NV at 299,285; and Sioux Falls, SD at 177,888.
The Frontpoint team used 2017 FBI Uniform Crime Reporting data to determine the city in each state with the lowest robbery rate. We chose to consider only cities with a population above 30,000 for better statistical significance in our analysis.
Least-Robbed Cities by State
|State||City||Robbery per 10,000 Residents|
|Michigan||West Bloomfield Township||0.15|
|TIE: New Jersey||Marlboro Township||0|
|TIE: New Jersey||Monroe Township||0|
|North Dakota||West Fargo||1.64|
|Pennsylvania||Lower Makefield Township||0.31|
|South Carolina||Mount Pleasant||2.75|
|South Dakota||Sioux Falls||5.62|
Staying Safe in Your City
Even if your hometown didn’t make the cut, there’s plenty you can do to boost your home’s security no matter where you live.
A Frontpoint home security system offers the first line of defense for your home. Featuring the perfect combo of DIY ease and professional expertise, Frontpoint systems offer simple installation and 24/7 monitoring with the option to add motion sensors, door and window sensors, glass break sensors, or garage door sensors. With this kind of security, you’ll be the first to know when a burglar’s nearby, so you can help protect your loved ones and your property.